The New Day Yoga Immersion Experience is designed for intermediate yoga students who are already familiar and comfortable with yoga topics such as chakras, mudras, intermediate asana, basic pranayama, chanting, and meditation. Each Immersion covers detailed anatomy and asana that relate to one of the major chakras and includes Ayurvedic principles, Bible Scripture study, group discussion, creative workshops, and praise and worship. The Immersions coincide with the New Day Yoga Advanced Teacher Training program and can be taken in any order. Each Immersion stands alone and is a complete and unique experience separate from the others, taking the participant into a deeper relationship with Jesus as well as into a deeper understanding of oneself. Come and see how powerful yoga practice can be when it is centered, grounded, and focused on becoming more like Jesus in body, mind, and spirit.
There are six Immersion Experiences available, with each beginning on a Monday at 3pm and ending on a Saturday at 2pm. Each Immersion offers 45 hours of guided instruction as well as time for personal study and reflection.
Dates for the Immersion Experiences are as follows:
Chakra 1 Immersion: May 19 - 24, 2014
Chakra 2 Immersion: August 4 - 9, 2014
Chakra 3 Immersion: December 8 - 13, 2014
Chakra 4 Immersion: May 4 - 9, 2015
Chakra 5 Immersion: September 7 - 12, 2015
Chakras 6 & 7 Immersion: November 30 - December 5, 2015
6:30 Personal Practice
7:15 Pranayama and Meditation
9:00 Morning Devotion
9:30 Study Hall
10:30 Asana Workshop
2:30 Ayurveda/Chakra Workshop
4:30 Practice Teaching
9:00 Quiet Reflection and Study
The Immersion Experiences may be taken in any order. Each one is a separate study of a specific chakra, its corresponding anatomy, asana, energy, psychology, physiology, philosophy and spirituality. As with all New Day Yoga offerings, this one is from a Christian perspective. Although traditional concepts and yoga philosophy are included, it is the Bible that remains the authoritative final word on the topics discussed.
All Immersion Experiences will include the study and practice of asana, principles of alignment, pranayama, chant, mudra and meditation, as well as Ayurveda, yoga philosophy, the mention of traditional yogic texts and the Holy Bible.
The unique anatomical and asana focus for each Immersion Experience is as follows:
Chakra 1 Immersion: Anatomy of the Feet, Ankles, Knees, Legs and Pelvis; Standing Poses and Vinyasa Flow
Chakra 2 Immersion: Anatomy of the Pelvic Girdle; Hip Openers and Forward Bends
Chakra 3 Immersion: Anatomy of the Trunk; The Psoas; Core Awareness and Activation
Chakra 4 Immersion: Anatomy of the Arms, Elbows, Wrists, Hands and Shoulders; Backbends and Twists
Chakra 5 Immersion: Anatomy of the Shoulder Girdle, Neck and Head; Arm Balances and Inversions
Chakra 6 & 7 Immersion: Anatomy of the Mind; Restorative Asana
Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, 916 Convent Road, NE, Cullman, AL 35055. The Retreat Center is two hours north of Birmingham and three hours west of Atlanta. Our group will be staying in Benet Hall. Each participant will have a private bedroom and will share a bath with one or two other yoginis. Each cozy room has a closet, a dresser, a desk chair, desk, lamp, and a rocker. Benet Hall also has a small kitchen, a common room, and a front porch overlooking a tranquil pond.
Cost: Instruction and Accommodations
The cost of each Immersion Experience is $935. A non-refundable $250 deposit is required at registration. The cost includes fifty hours of instruction, a notebook for the Immersion Experience, lodging for five nights and all meals from Monday night dinner to Saturday lunch. Our group will also have use of the new retreat chapel, a separate meeting room for our yoga practices, the outdoor labyrinth, and a private dining area. Space is limited to 11 participants.
Dayna Gelinas, E-RYT 500, is the teacher and guide for each of the Immersion Experiences. For more information about her, please visit About Dayna.
- For All Immersions: 1) Holy Bible (any translation), 2) Key Muscles of Yoga by Ray Long, 3) The Heart of Yoga by T.K.V. Desikachar,4) New Day Yoga Notebook for each Immersion.
- For Chakra 1 Immersion: Anatomy for Vinyasa Flow and Standing Poses by Ray Long
- For Chakra 2 Immersion: Anatomy for Hip Openers and Forward Bends by Ray Long
- For Chakra 3 Immersion: The Psoas Book by Liz Koch
- For Chakra 4 Immersion: Anatomy for Backbends and Twists by Ray Long
- For Chakra 5 Immersion: Anatomy for Arm Balances and Inversions by Ray Long
- For Chakras 6 & 7 Immersion: Relax and Renew by Judith Lasater
Pre-requisites and Requirements
- You must have practiced yoga consistently with a teacher for at least two years at the experienced 1-2 Level. The Immersion Experience is not for beginners, nor for those who do not feel confident in a personal practice.
- You must be familiar with all basic yoga poses by name (English and/or Sanskrit) and through experience, including backbends and inversions such as handstand, shoulderstand, and headstand. You do not have to be a master at these postures, but you should be working toward them in your practice unless there are physical reasons why you would not be.
- You must complete a registration and/or application.
- Attendance at the scheduled sessions for the week is highly encouraged but is optional.
One Final Note:
Although the Immersion Experiences will be comprehensive, detailed, thorough, and structured, they will also provide you with an ashram experience of sorts. The secluded location in the Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center in Cullman, Alabama invites introspection, peace, and rest. As with all New Day Yoga offerings, the Holy Spirit is always the honored and respected Guest who is invited to guide and direct us. You can expect God to touch you in a special way as we seek to understand more fully how "fearfully and wonderfully" we are made through the practice and study of Yoga from a Christian perspective.