The New Day Yoga Immersion Experience is designed for intermediate yoga students who are already familiar and comfortable with yoga topics such as chakras, mudras, intermediate asana, basic pranayama, chanting, and meditation. Each Immersion covers detailed anatomy and asana that relate to one of the major chakras and includes Ayurvedic principles, Bible Scripture study, group discussion, creative workshops, and praise and worship. The Immersions coincide with the New Day Yoga Advanced Teacher Training program and can be taken in any order. Each Immersion stands alone and is a complete and unique experience separate from the others, taking the participant into a deeper relationship with Jesus as well as into a deeper understanding of oneself. Come and see how powerful yoga practice can be when it is centered, grounded, and focused on becoming more like Jesus in body, mind, and spirit.
There are six Immersion Experiences available, with each beginning on a Sunday at 3pm and ending on a Friday at 12pm. Each Immersion offers 45 hours of guided instruction as well as time for personal study and reflection.
Dates for the Immersion Experiences are as follows:
Chakra 1 Immersion: August 28 - September 2 , 2011
Chakra 2 Immersion: November 27 - December 2, 2011
Chakra 3 Immerson: April 29 - May 4, 2012
Chakra 4 Immersion: August 19 - 24, 2012
Chakra 5 Immersion: November 25 - 30, 2012
Chakras 6 & 7 Immersion: April 28 - May 3, 2013
6:30 Asana Practice
7:15 Pranayama and Meditation
10:30 Asana Workshop
1:30 Study Hall/Personal Reflection
2:30 Ayurveda/Chakra Workshop
4:30 Asana Practice
The Immersion Experiences may be taken in any order. Each one is a separate study of a specific chakra, its corresponding anatomy, asana, energy, psychology, physiology, philosophy and spirituality. As with all New Day Yoga offerings, this one is from a Christian perspective. Although traditional concepts and yoga philosophy are included, it is the Bible that remains the authoritative final word on the topics discussed.
All Immersion Experiences will include the study and practice of asana, principles of alignment, pranayama, chant, mudra and meditation, as well as Ayurveda, yoga philosophy, the mention of traditional yogic texts and the Holy Bible.
The unique focus of each Immersion Experience is as follows:
Chakra 1 Immersion: Anatomy of the Feet, Ankles, Knees, Legs and Pelvis; Standing Poses and Vinyasa Flow
Chakra 2 Immersion: Anatomy of the Pelvic Girdle; Hip Openers and Forward Bends
Chakra 3 Immersion: Anatomy of the Torso, Arms, Elbows, Wrists, Hands ; Twists and Arm Balances
Chakra 4 Immersion: Anatomy of the Arms, Elbows, Wrists, Hands and Shoulders; Backbends
Chakra 5 Immersion: Anatomy of the Shoulder Girdle and Neck; Inversions and Arm Balances
Chakras 6 & 7 Immersion: Anatomy of the Shoulder Girdle, Neck and Head; Inversions and Restorative Asana
The training facility is located in Jasper, GA, at Sharp Mountain Retreat, 45 minutes north of Atlanta. Please visit www.sharpmountainretreat.com for information and directions to Sharp Mountain.
Cost: Instruction and Accommodations
The cost of each Immersion Experience is $875. A non-refundable $250 deposit is required at registration. Space is limited to 11 participants.
Dayna Gelinas is the teacher and guide for each of the Immersion Experiences For more information about her, please visit About Dayna.
To keep costs down and to build a sense of community, you will need to bring your own food and drinks for 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, and any snacking you will do. Dinners will be a community affair and will be explained once the attendees have been determined.
- For All Immersions: 1) Holy Bible (any translation), 2) Key Muscles of Yoga by Ray Long, 4) Key Poses of Yoga by Ray Long.
- For Chakra 1 Immersion: Anatomy for Vinyasa Flow and Standing Poses by Ray Long
- For Chakra 2 Immersion: Anatomy for Hip Openers and Forward Bends by Ray Long
- For Chakra 3 Immersion: 1) Anatomy for Backbends and Twists by Ray Long and 2) Anatomy for Arm Balances and Inversions by Ray Long
- For Chakra 4 Immersion: Anatomy for Backbends and Twists by Ray Long
- For Chakras 5, 6 & 7 Immersions: Anatomy for Arm Balances and Inversions by Ray Long
Pre-requisites and Requirements
- You must have practiced yoga consistently with a teacher for at least two years at the experienced 1/2 Level. The Immersion Experience is not for beginners, nor for those who do not feel confident in a personal practice.
- You must be familiar with all basic yoga poses by name (English and/or Sanskrit) and through experience, including backbends and inversions such as handstand, shoulderstand, and headstand. You do not have to be a master at these postures, but you should be working toward them in your practice unless there are physical reasons why you would not be.
- You must complete a registration and/or application.
- Attendance at the scheduled sessions for the week is highly encouraged but is optional.
One Final Note:
Although the Immersion Experiences will be comprehensive, detailed, thorough, and structured, they will also provide you with an ashram experience of sorts. The secluded location in the North Georgia Mountains invites introspection, peace, and rest. As with all New Day Yoga offerings, the Holy Spirit is always the honored and respected Guest who is invited to guide and direct us. You can expect God to touch you in a special way as we seek to understand more fully how "fearfully and wonderfully" we are made through the practice and study of Yoga from a Christian perspective.